Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Initial Post

I've long considered writing a book on the experiences of my clients. Every day families and individuals sit across from me at my desk and tell of their financial woes. The stories usually run along the same theme. A spouse or child became ill, the company was downsized, the mortgage interest rate increased, etc.

The bills simply got away from them. They aren't sure where it happened or when, but one morning they woke up and realized that they were too far behind and had no hope of catching up. These are the people that come to see the Jump Law Group.

Oddly, the public perception is that people who file bankruptcy have brought this on themselves. Sadly, the people who come to see me also believe that they have brought this on themselves. Nothing could be further from the truth. A lot of my time is spent counseling people on the nature of debt and how it works. That also means I have to show my client's why it is not their fault that they have to declare bankruptcy.

No one ever is happy about declaring bankruptcy and I suppose that is a good thing. But neither should people come into my office carrying the burden of the 'guilt' that they feel about declaring bankruptcy.

Do we think less of United Airlines for filing bankruptcy? Do we think less of MCI for filing for bankruptcy? No. In that case, it was merely a strategy decision for the company to protect its assets.

The same is true for the regular consumer. Filing bankruptcy is a financial decision and nothing more. It is not a moral fault as your creditors would like you to believe. Filing bankruptcy is taking advantage of your right to get a fresh start and begin anew.

The purpose of this blog is to reach out to wider audience than the clients who come to my office. 72% of all Americans qualify for bankruptcy relief. That is a significant number. We are a nation of debtors and massive debt, but we don't speak about it. Our measure of self worth is equated to the size of our paycheck or our material possessions.

This blog is a way for all of us to openly discuss how debt affects our lives. Many of my client's find it useful to write down what has happened in their lives to bring themselves to bankruptcy. I hope that this blog will allow you to do the same and show others that they are not alone.

With that said, I yield the floor to you. I have only one rule.

(1) Do not use your real name. Please post a username or something else so you won't be identified. This is a public blog and I would hate to see someones post used against them.

I wish you luck and I look forward to reading these posts as this blog takes shape. If you have questions about bankruptcy or debt, you can view the Jump Law Group website at www.jumplawgroup.com

Jay S. Jump
Principal - The Jump Law Group
528 2nd Avenue South
Kent, WA 98032
(253) 479-0241
(253) 479-0245 Facsimile
www.jumplawgroup.com

1 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Blogger Jump Law Group said...

I am seeing how the comments work.

Jay S. Jump

 

Post a Comment

<< Home